Free SSL Certificate
Nowadays, everybody is aware of hacking and have become sensitive on maintaining their communication secure over the internet. Whether it is eCommerce or a blog, end user prefer to see GREEN Color Lock on the left hand side of URL. This following article would provide information on how to get Free SSL Certificate for 1 domain (In addition,can also be used for validating 1 email address).
There are various Certificate Authority that provides Free SSL Certificate but their time period is pretty less as compared to the Certificate Authority that is explained below.
StartCom vendor and producer of StartCom Linux OS also operates StartCom Certificate Authority. It is the 6th largest Certificate Authority and also provides Free SSL Certificate for Personal use. They have categorize SSL certificates based on 4 features like Free SSL Certificate, Identity Validation, Organization Validation and Extended Validation. (Click Here for more information). StartCom Free SSL Certificate are intended for web sites which require protection of privacy and prevent eavesdropping. However information presented within these certificates, except the domain name and email address, are not verified. Should you need higher validated certification, please check out our StartSSL (Class 2) certificates
This article would be focusing on how to get Free SSL Certificate and install it over web hosting server. ( Deeper information on Installation and plugins for WordPress Websites). The following are high level feature that StartCom provides for Free SSL Certificate:-
Class 1 Domain Validation SSL Certificate
one domain 1 year, unlimited
Class 1 Email Validation S/MIME Certificate
one email 1 year, unlimited
For more details about StartCom Root Authority Click here
Steps for Getting Free SSL Certificate
There are 3 parts in which user can get decrpyt and install Free SSL Certificate.
Part 1: Getting the Free SSL Certificate
- Provide Country and Email Address and it would send you verification code over an email which would verify Email Address
- Once you provide with Verification code, it would automatically navigate to the Validation Wizard where you select “Domain Validation” (Domain Validation is free rest others are not) and click on continue.
- Enter the Domain name and click on continue
- As domain and email is been verified, get the Free SSL Certificate by clicking to “Order SSL Certificate”
- Select the submit your “Certificate Signing Request (CSR)” (Preferred selecting PKI if you do not have anything). Provide the paraphrase password for encryption.
Part 2 : Decryption of Private Key
- Login to StartCom and click on ToolBox. Look for Decrypt Private Key
- Get the decryption Key and save it.
Part 3 : Installation of Free SSL Certificate on Hosting Server
- Login to Control Panel
- Click on “SSL/TLS Manager” from Cpanel.
- Click on the link below “ Activate SSL on Your Web Site (HTTPS) “.
- Select the appropriate domain name from the select-box.
- Paste the 2_domain.crt certificate is from the apache.zip into the first field ”Certificate(CRT)””.
- Paste the decrypted private key into the second field “Key (KEY)“.
- Paste the 1_root_bundle.crt certificate is from the apache.zip into the third field(CA BUNDLE).
- Hit “Install Certificate” and wait for the server to restart.